Friday, June 12, 2009

Bedroom Decor

We've been considering a Moroccan theme for the bedroom, although I'm finding that widening that to North Africa/Middle East seems to be more productive. This is some of my current thinking.

The room is up under the roof, with a central section of flat roof, which slopes to about five feet on one side (in which there are some fitted wardrobes and access to the attic), and about three on the other, where the bed is, headboard against the wall. Furniture I'd really like to hang onto includes the antique wardrobe and chest of drawers/dressing table we got from freecycle. They're both dark mahogany.

I want colours to be either earth tones or jewel tones. No pastels, no primaries - I found myself looking at this one and going "what about blue and red?", but I reckon that pure blue and red aren't much used in this style.

Most things should have a texture of some kind - either patterning, or an actual physical texture.

Lighting should be from things that cast some of their own shadows - lantern style with patterned cuts, for instance. These Eygptian lanterns are utterly gorgeous, and I want them all. The central pendant light that's there at the moment really has to go.

And I'd like to do something with storage - books and clothes - that echoes the orderly market scenes. I'm not sure how to approach that one, though. I don't want open storage, and obviously, our clothes can't be made to fit the colour schemes. But I'd like it if drawers and wardrobes, when opened, looked like part of the room, and not the backstage area of the set, as it were.

Thinking continues.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

You might like this book. I could loan it to you for a short time.

http://www.thegoodwebguide.co.uk/?PAGEID=010068

Gienah Ghurab said...

Check your local library for a copy of "Moroccan Interiors" or "Moroccan Style" for visual inspiration. You'll get a better idea of color palettes, background plants, ways to display accessories and textiles...

I'd consider draped areas and closed cabinets for storage (the cabinets could be bought or altered with, say, latticework and / or arched fronts). The one thing I would love to have myself is a star lantern. :)

BT said...

hello there, I live in County Clare and came to your blog from Heckaty. I've enjoyed reading about your garden exploits and I'm sure you'd enjoy my blog as I post lots of gardening pictures and we have a great vegetable plot. Pop over and see. We've also dug up lots and lots of strange things! We have a veritable museum of finds including dozens of shoes and boots.

Sara said...

Hello, I recently came accross your blog and have been reading along. I thought I would leave my first comment. I dont know what to say except that I have enjoyed reading. Nice blog. I will keep visiting this blog very often.
Bed in A Bag