Monday, May 19, 2008

Courgettes, Squashes & Pumpkins

I was talking to an Australian friend yesterday about growing courgettes and pumpkins. I remarked that I'd had trouble getting pumpkins to actually fruit when I've tried to grow them before, until I pinched out the growing tip. Apparently, in warmer climates like Australia, you don't need to do this. I did some digging around on the 'net today, and found an excellent guide to growing gourds on garden-centre.org. And pinching out the the tip when the vine hits about 60cm is definitely recommended.

I cleared ground to plant courgettes on Sunday, and if all goes to plan, I'll be planting the seeds this evening. I might look for a few ornamental pumpkins to go in around the edges of that plot, too, more for fun than for real eating.

No comments: