Thursday, May 15, 2008

Intention to Garden

So this is the back garden as it was when we got the keys. There's a wooden shed out of view to the right, and a paved/patio style bit to the left - you can just see the corner.


(Photography by Niall Murphy)

I have plans for this place, but they're not terribly well formed yet. My main aim is to grow vegetables and fruits out here, while leaving some of the lawn there. I like daisies, so I won't be trying to eliminate them.

Since this picture was taken, we've mowed the lawn back as far as the ash tree in the middle. I'm thinking that the area beyond that will probably become the main vegetable patch - although I've dug a test bed off to the right in front of the shed, planted some sprouting potatoes as an experiment, and some spring onion seeds as... another experiment. It's all a bit experimental at the moment, to be honest, since I've never done much in the way of real gardening before - just a lot of reading.

I'm probably not going to do a great deal with it this year, other than watch it and think carefully. The intention is to get a good bit in the way of vegetables, some fruit bushes, and fruit trees in there next year, when we know where's shady and where's not. As it stands, it look like the west side - on the right in the picture - is the shadiest, being out of direct sun for about a third of the day due to trees there. The wall at the south end doesn't provide nearly as much shade as I first expected - at least, not in summer. On the other hand, I'd imagine that with the sun lower in the sky in winter, there'll be quite a long shadow from it.

No comments: